Food and Drink: Latin Inspired Thanksgiving Recipe #1- Pavochòn Roasted Turkey
Our first recipe is a Roasted Turkey, cooked similarly to roasted suckling pork, which is popular on islands such as Puerto Rico. See the ingredients and prepation below:
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook Time: 150 minutes
Yields: 8-10 servings
- 1 head of garlic (cloves separated and peeled)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 3 Tablespoons adobo
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 14-pound turkey
1. Mash the garlic cloves and salt into a paste using a pilòn (mortar and pestle).
2. Add the peppercorns and adobo and crush the ingredients into the paste.
3. Stir in the olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
4. Rub the mixture under the turkey’s skin, inside the cavities, and then rub the rest of the mixture on top of the skin.
5. Roast the turkey according to the manufacturer’s recommended time and temperature. A 14 to 16 pound turkey will take about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to cook.”
This Thanksgiving, I'll be roasting a turkey as well, but what I like to add to the seasoning is a touch of sage, which is a great fall seasoning for meats especially turkey! It's also pretty easy to grow so if you have any left over from your garden this summer be sure to use it in this recipe. Happy eating!